Table of Contents
Online learning platforms emanated as a result of technological advancement and have hence been helping students simplify learning processes. People learn skills and explore a topic of interest, as well as courses that help boost their academic or professional career on various platforms like Coursera, Udemy, and so on.
Individuals who use online platforms for study purposes get to learn at their own pace, it is also considered an affordable means of studying when compared with in-person learning. Course writers can also generate money from online course platforms when learners make a purchase, this article will review various study platforms where students can learn, and tutors can generate money for courses sold.
Coursera is widely known as the leading online learning platform where individuals can access myriads of courses including courses obtainable in tertiary institutions. To achieve this, Coursera partners with over 300 accredited institutions of learning, hence making the certificates valid in the labor market.
- The certification you receive from studying a course on Udemy can be used for work purposes
- Individuals can access courses available in top accredited universities.
- Coursera users can gain access to thousands of free courses.
- The website is easy to navigate, and you can learn in multiple languages.
- Individuals must pay before receiving certification
- Additional application may be required when trying to access courses from an accredited institution of learning.
Coursera is the real deal when it comes to selecting the best-performing online learning platform. It integrates academic courses and professional courses that are applicable in the real world, and individuals can receive certification after completing a course of study on the platform.
You can find a flexible pricing system on the Coursera learning platform. For example, Coursera users can purchase a course for as low as $29.99, or unlock access to thousands of courses for $399.99/yearly subscription.
Udacity provides a platform where individuals can learn a new skill, and where tutors can showcase their work to the public. The online learning platform is easily one of the best platforms where you can be tutored at your own pace.
Courses are taught by experienced instructors who have proven themselves in their fields. They make sure they are qualified through a strict approval process before getting them on board.
- The course platforms feature an intensive skill acquisition program for beginners and advanced learners.
- Supports individuals with their career development.
- The platform offers a 7-day money-back guarantee to individuals
- It is considered more expensive than other e-learning platforms.
- Individuals can not take courses at their convenience because there’s usually a project deadline attached to each course.
The online learning platform makes it possible to access various tech skills that are high in demand. Udacity has everything you need irrespective of whether you’re looking for courses on web development, programming, UI/UX design, data science, etc.
You’ll find courses for beginners as well as advanced courses on the platform. You’ll also find practical examples and a personal mentorship program by tutors to support your learning process.
Although Udacity is considered expensive, individuals may select the monthly package for $399.99 or save $183 when they make purchases for the 3-month package for $1017 only.
Skillshare is a digital learning platform that connects individuals to professional tutors who will help enhance their knowledge in various skill acquisition classes such as graphic design.
This learning platform is however not focused on offering courses offered in Universities, but is centered on helping an individual acquire creative skills in various fields. Skillshare users benefit from practical classes to help improve their skills.
- Users have access to more than 10 variety of course topics
- Access To Professional Tutors
- Access to free courses.
- Offers up to 7 days money-back guarantee.
- Low availability of free courses
- In-built ads for free users.
- The certificates offered on Skillshare are not generally accepted.
Starting at $13.99/month, and a $159.99 per year subscription
4 Lynda.com (now LinkedIn Learning)
LinkedIn Is designed for people who are looking to advance their knowledge about an area of study, this means beginner classes are hard to come by on the LinkedIn learning platform. There is the availability of all types of courses on the platform, but it is majorly focused on skill acquisition programs e.g. web development, marketing, graphics design, etc.
Certificates of completion are offered to individuals who complete a course program but can not be used for official purposes.
- Access to courses in video file formats.
- Availability of over 15,000 professional courses.
- 30-day free trial.
- Offers certificate of completion.
- Provides inbuilt assessment.
- A certificate of completion can not be used for official purposes.
- Limited availability of entry-level courses.
Starts at $24.99 per month
EdX is a digital learning platform that allows individuals to acquire educational degrees from top universities like Harvard from the comfort of their homes. The platform has partnered with various colleges, and universities around the globe to boost their credibility status, and it is also considered an alternative to obtaining a degree in physical classrooms.
- Students have access to receive financial support.
- Access to University course programs.
- Students can obtain undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
- A 14-day money-back guarantee for dissatisfied users.
- Certificates and degrees are widely accepted.
- Access to thousands of free courses.
- Limited availability of creative courses
- Certification is only available to paid users.
- Financial support is restricted to a certain course of study. Learn more
Subscription starts from $329.99 per year.
Codeacademy was introduced to provide educational support, and relevant course materials to individuals who want to learn how to code. This learning platform is recommended for people who have no basic knowledge of coding, as well as people who desire to widen their knowledge in the field.
At Codecademy, users can access thousands of materials for free and are liable to receive global support from various volunteers on the platform. People looking to their resume or improve their knowledge in web development, computer science, data science, etc. find the learning platform very helpful, and easy to use.
- Easy to use, and navigate.
- Very helpful.
- Availability of free plan.
- Users can learn up to 14 programming languages
- Availability of a helpful and supportive community dedicated to guiding users.
- Limited availability of courses for free users.
- Non-availability of video content.
Starting at $16.99/month
7 Khan Academy
Khan Academy is another digital learning platform where courses are taught with the use of multimedia. You can also find a variety of educational courses, including resources to help you prepare for international exams like GMAT and SAT.
The learning platform is a great option for people who desire to gain additional knowledge about an area of study from the comfort of their homes.
- Easy to use and navigate.
- Courses are 100% free.
- No annoying ads.
- Multimedia style of learning.
- Non-availability of certificate after completion of course programs.
- Lack of personal tutors.
Udemy is a platform designed for people looking to learn something new for their personal development as well as boost their career growth. You will find courses in different categories that match your interest, as well as courses available in an academic setting.
At Udemy, individuals can find over 20,000 classes tailored to their needs as well as over 80,000 experts in relevant fields who will help guide you to improve your understanding of the course of study.
- Access to over 200,000 professional courses
- Integrates the use of multimedia in digital classes to aid understanding.
- Has a 30-day money-back guarantee clause for dissatisfied users.
- Courses can be accessed in various languages.
- Course schedules are convenient.
- Non-accredited learning platform
- Udemy does not review courses before publishing.
- Udemy offers a flexible pricing system:
- Users can get access to courses for as low as $9.99
- Users can save more when they subscribe to the $30/month plan giving them access to over 5,000 courses.
FutureLearn has contributed to the revolutionizing of online learning, giving users access to online study as well as advanced course programs. It provides a platform for users to study courses offered by world-leading universities.
- There exists the availability of short accredited courses.
- Easy to use.
- Provides access to certification for free users
- Availability of support community
Non-availability of a mobile app.
Users can access the unlimited features of the learning platform for only $40/month
ALISON is a free digital learning platform that gives users access to thousands of courses as well as certification for completed courses. The platform is supported by top universities such as the University of Cambridge and also receives support from big brands such as Google, and Microsoft.
- Availability of relevant courses for free.
- Partners with world-leading universities
- Certificates must be paid for.
- Does not offer Cashback on certifications purchased.
Users can access;
- A certificate for as low as $20
- Users can access the premium version for as low as $8.99/month, that’s about $105.99 per year.
Online learning platforms have been providing a medium for individuals and study groups to carry out learning activities from the comfort of their homes. E-learning platforms also make it easy to acquire certificates from various top universities.
Overall, when selecting an online platform for study purposes, you should consider affordability, availability of courses, as well as accreditation status before making your decisions. You also have the option of trying out 10 of the best e-learning platforms outlined in this publication.