Jamb Subject Combination

JAMB Subject Combination for Hospitality and Tourism

Choosing Hospitality and Tourism is a fantastic decision with ample opportunities for success. Whether you’re completing secondary school or have already earned a higher education qualification, this course is open to you.

For secondary school graduates, strong grades in WAEC, NECO, or NABTEB are essential. Additionally, if you possess qualifications like a National Diploma (ND), Higher National Diploma (HND), or a Bachelor’s degree, you can still apply. Before applying, carefully review these requirements to ensure you meet them. Embracing Hospitality and Tourism can open doors to a rewarding and diverse career path.

What is Hospitality and Tourism?

Hospitality and Tourism refer to industries that focus on providing services and experiences to travelers and guests. These industries encompass a wide range of businesses and activities, including hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, events, attractions, and more.

Why Should I Study Hospitality and Tourism as a Course?

Studying Hospitality and Tourism is a great idea because it opens up many different jobs, like managing hotels or planning events. You get to work with people and be creative, and it can take you to different places around the world. The industry is always growing, so there are lots of chances for a successful and exciting career. Plus, it helps you develop important skills and might even lead to starting your own business, like a restaurant or travel agency.

Note: Please be aware that the requirements listed below may vary in some schools. In such cases, it is recommended to refer to the PDF version of the JAMB Brochure for accurate information.

O’Level Requirements to Study Hospitality and Tourism

To pursue Hospitality and Tourism in a Nigerian university, you need five (5) SSCE credit passes. These must include English Language, Geography, and any three (3) from Arts or Social Science subjects. Additionally, you should have an ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics. This means you should have good grades in English, Geography, and three other subjects from either Arts or Social Sciences, and a basic pass in Mathematics. Meeting these requirements will qualify you to study Hospitality and Tourism at the university level in Nigeria.

See also  JAMB Subject Combination for Theatre and Performing Arts

Direct Entry Requirements to Study Hospitality and Tourism

  • NCE merit
  • ND upper credit and HND lower credit in relevant programmes.
  • Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification with a minimum of Lower Credit.

Jamb Subject Combination for Hospitality and Tourism

  • English
  • Geography
  • Any two (2) other Arts or Social Science subjects.

Universities that Offer Hospitality and Tourism

  • EKSU: Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State
  • KWASU: Kwara State University, Malete, Kwara State


Is Hospitality and Tourism a Commercial or Art course?

Hospitality and Tourism is a bit of both business and creativity. It’s like a mix of running a business, helping customers, and creating special experiences. You learn how hotels, restaurants, and events work, but there’s also room for being artistic in planning and designing. So, it’s kind of like a commercial and art course together. This makes it interesting for people who like both the business side of things and being creative.

Can Science Students Study Hospitality and Tourism?

It would be very difficult for Science Students to have the requirements needed to study Hospitality and Tourism at the University due to Commercial Subjects that are often required as part of the subject requirements. However, It is a good idea to check with the university or college you are interested in to find out their specific requirements. If you’re thinking about switching from science to arts, talking to academic advisors or the admissions office can provide helpful information. Alternatively, you can always use the Jamb Brochure to check if you are eligible to study the course.

See also  JAMB Subject Combination for Criminology and Penology

Can Commercial Students Study Hospitality and Tourism?

Yes, students from commercial or business backgrounds can also choose to study Hospitality and Tourism in the university if they meet the criteria. However, the specific requirements might vary depending on the institution. It’s a good idea for students interested in art courses to check the admission requirements of the college or university they want to apply to. Some schools may have additional conditions to help students transition to art courses. So it is advisable to check the school’s website or the Jamb Brochure for more information.

Can an Arts Student Study Hospitality and Tourism?

Yes, the course can be studied in the University by Art Students provided they have the relevant subjects.

What Jobs can I apply for after studying Hospitality and Tourism?

After studying Hospitality and Tourism, you can apply for various jobs in the industry, such as Hotel Manager, Event Planner, Travel Consultant, Restaurant Manager, Tourism Officer, Cruise Director, Resort Manager, Airline Customer Service, Conference Coordinator, Visitor Information Officer, Theme Park Manager, Tour Guide, Corporate Travel Manager, Hospitality Consultant, and Catering Manager. These roles cover a wide range of responsibilities, from managing accommodations and events to promoting tourist destinations and providing excellent customer service.

How many years does it take to Study Hospitality and Tourism?

Getting a Hospitality and Tourism degree usually takes at least 4 years. But, if you enter through the direct entry program, it might be shorter, usually about 3 years, especially if you start at the 200 Level.

How challenging is it to gain admission to study Hospitality and Tourism at Nigerian universities?

Securing admission to study Hospitality and Tourism at Nigerian universities is easy, yet it remains crucial to fulfill all the necessary requirements for the application process. Meeting these requirements ensures a smooth and successful admission process, emphasizing the importance of careful attention to detail when applying for the program.

See also  JAMB Subject Combination for Industrial Mathematics

What is the cut-off mark for Hospitality and Tourism?

The cut-off mark is 140. If you score at least 140 in the JAMB UTME, you can take the POST UTME exam. This exam is one of the criteria for getting admission to study the course you want at the university.

Note: Understand that the conditions mentioned above might differ in some universities. In such instances, it is advisable to check the PDF version of the JAMB Brochure for precise details. You can also access Jamb Subject Combination for other courses.

Leave a Reply