The OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) Scholarship is meant for remarkably talented and motivated students from developing countries. This was designed to help them overcome the biggest obstacles to higher education which is usually financial challenges.
Since its establishment in 2006, it has given over 1.2 million dollars to students to pursue graduate studies. OFID provides scholarships to students studying at top universities including Havard University, Imperial College London, and the London School of Economics and Political Science.
1 Program of Study
Eligible Full-time Masters Degree courses offered by the participating schools. Studies must relate to development, environment, or other related science and technology fields.
To be eligible for the OFID scholarship, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Students must be between the ages of 23-32 at the time of applying for the application.
- You should have obtained or be close to completing your undergraduate degree from an accredited college/university, or have an equivalent qualification.
- You must be enrolled at an accredited university for the upcoming academic year, starting in August/September, and maintain full-time status throughout your Master’s degree.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale, or an equivalent grading system must be maintained.
- Another criterion is that applicant must be a citizen of a developing country.
- You must also choose a subject of study that aligns with OFID’s core mission, such as economics or development (poverty reduction, energy, and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related fields in science and technology.
3 Target Countries
Citizens or Students from developing countries
4 Host Institution
any accredited university or college worldwide.
5 Scholarship Value
The value of the scholarship is not specified as it varies depending on the institution attended by each beneficiary.
6 Application Instruction
Here are the steps to apply for the OFID Scholarship Award:
- Check if you meet the eligibility criteria for the scholarship.
- Register on the OFID Scholarship Portal using your email address. You can log in multiple times before finalizing and submitting your application.
- Fill out the application form, saving your data as you make updates. Remember that if you remain inactive for over two hours, your session may time-out, and unsaved data could be lost. Only
submit your application once you have completed the entire process.
- Upload the required documents, including your CV, two recommendation letters, Bachelor’s certificate/transcript, acceptance letter into a postgraduate program, and essay.
- Once your application is complete and all documents are uploaded, you can submit it. Note that once submitted, no further changes or document uploads are possible.
Please note that the OPEC Fund’s scholarship program is undergoing restructuring, and they are not currently accepting applications. Updated information will be provided later in the year.
8 Scholarship Link
For more information about the Scholarship, you should visit the Official Website.