Table of Contents
Are you a student looking to study in India but need to know how to get started? This article will provide you with everything you need to know and most importantly, how to apply for an Indian student visa.
Every year, India receives a large number of students looking to study in the country. This presents international students with an opportunity to learn and gain valuable knowledge from research and educational advancements that have taken lots of years to perfect.
All the partner institutions in India are highly placed by NIRF and also accredited by NAAC. In addition to delivering high-quality higher education, these establishments are furnished with state-of-the-art facilities that students will find very useful.
The Indian student visa can be issued for students looking to pursue short courses or training, regular FT, and exchange programs.
1 Major requirements needed to obtain an Indian Student Visa
- Students must demonstrate ample financial resources to cover their educational expenses.
- The visa application will require a non-refundable fee payment directed to the respective embassy or consulate.
- Confirmation of admission from an accredited university in India.
- Student visas will only be processed for full-time academic programs offered by recognized Indian universities.
2 What is the cost of the German Visa application fee?
The cost of acquiring an Indian student visa is usually from $14 to $250. To know the actual fee you are to pay, you should contact the embassy or consulate in your country.
3 How Do I Apply for an Indian Student Visa?
1. Apply for Admission into an Indian University and get accepted
One of the criteria for getting a student visa is to have received an offer from a university in the country you want to study. India is also not an exception. You are to apply for admission and obtain a letter of acceptance or offer from the school. This letter will be needed as part of the documents you are to tendered during your application.
Research the schools and their proximity to the area or place you want to stay. Look up their site online, check their requirements, and apply for admission. There is no shortcut to getting admission, you just need to meet all requirements to stand a good chance of being accepted into the school.
2. Prepare the documents you will need for your Visa application
There are some documents that you will need as part of the requirements of your application. The documents are to be submitted online. They may also be requested for sightseeing at the embassy or consulate. The necessary documents are as follows:
- Visa application form duly completed online
- An original passport with a validity of at least 6 months and a photocopy of the data page on the passport.
- Two passport photographs measuring 2 inches x 2 inches, taken against a light background and affixed on the boxes on pages 1 and 2 of the online form.
- Admission letter or letter of acceptance from the University in India.
- Evidence of adequate funds for upkeep after making necessary payments.
- Original and photocopies of the applicant’s previous educational qualifications.
- Note: At times, additional documents may also be required separately but these are the most common ones often requested by the Indian embassy.
3. Apply online for an Indian Study Visa
Depending on the country you are from, you should be able to apply for an Indian student visa online. If the option is not available to you, you will need to set up an appointment with the Indian embassy or consulate in your country.
On the due date, go with all the documents to the office as you would complete the application the same day at the office. As already stated, an application fee will be charged, so you are to make provision for that by ensuring that your debit card has sufficient funds to cover the cost.
The status of your visa application can also be checked online. You will need the unique generated Application ID and your Passport No to monitor and check from time to time.
4 How long does it take to get an Indian student visa?
Indian student visa application is usually processed faster than most ones. Typically, getting an update on your visa should not take more than 2 weeks.
If you have satisfied the requirements, then there is no reason why you will be denied your entry visa into the country. Still, it is also advisable to apply early to avoid unusual occurrences.
5 Can I work with an Indian Student Visa?
As a foreign student on a study visa, you will not be able to work to earn some money. It is advisable to have everything sorted out before going to India to study. You will need money for school, accommodation, upkeep, and other essentials.
You are allowed to take up internships which must be related to your field of study. However, this is usually a free service unless the employer decides otherwise. The main purpose of an internship is to expose you to the practical world and gain valuable knowledge that might count especially when you are in the labor market.