Table of Contents
How to get a student visa for Australia 2023
Australia is one of the most attractive study destinations for international students. It is also home to some of the best universities in the world. The place is lively, welcoming locals, and the education system was perfectly set up to give the best to students. The best part of it is that the national language is English.
To study there, you will need a study visa like in most countries. The process is often rigorous but knowing ahead of what to expect will make it easier for you.
1 Types of Student Visas in Australia
There are two studying and training visas usually given to international students. The one you end up collecting will depend on the duration of your field of study. We will be explaining them one by one to you:
1. Training visa (subclass 407)
This is a temporary visa that allows you to stay and study in Australia for up to 2 years. With the visa, you can carry out workplace-based training with the main focus of improving your expertise in a particular field. The cost of obtaining the Australian Training visa is AUD405.
2. Student Guardian visa (subclass 590 not for students)
In this situation, you are not a student but a guardian or parent to a student who is under the age of 18 years old but will be needing you due to some issues. How long you can stay in Australia with this visa will depend on how long the student visa holder plans to stay and how old they are.
You must be at least 21 years old and have sufficient money to take care of both yourself and the student while you’re in Australia. Student Guardian visa (subclass 590) costs AUD710.
3. Student visa (subclass 500)
The Australian student visa otherwise known as subclass 500 is the most popular one. It is usually issued to international students who want to study in Australia for a longer period, up to 5 years, or during the entire duration of their studies. To get the student visa, you must be at least 6 years old at the time of applying but those under 18 years must have welfare arrangements. The cost of the Australian student visa is AUD710.
2 Requirements needed for Australian Student Visa
- Fill out an online application, whether you’re inside or outside Australia.
- Be signed up for a course of study in Australia.
- Must have health insurance called Overseas Student Health Cover.
- Proof of your English language abilities when you apply for the visa.
- Be at least 6 years old. If you’re under 18, show that there’s a sufficient plan for living costs and other expenses.
- Must have and keep proper health insurance for your entire time in Australia.
- Applicants must also have sufficient money to keep them through their stay in Australia.
- You must genuinely plan to come to Australia for a temporary period, like for studying, and have the intention to go back to your home country afterward.
3 Documents needed for the Australian student visa
- Acceptance letter from the school.
- Letter of Offer and Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Requirement
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Health and Character Requirement
4 What is a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)?
To meet the GTE requirement, you must be able to confirm and put in writing you are genuinely coming to Australia to study and not for any other thing else and intend to go back after the duration of your program.
In your statement, make sure to talk about your connections back home, like family, or a job that you need to go back to. Also, explain how important the course is for your future career or academic plans. This will help you during your application.
5 What is Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?
Health is very important, so you need the OSHC. All students are required to purchase the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) to cover them for the duration of the program. This package ensures that they can be attended to when necessary. With this insurance, OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) will help you by covering medical or hospital expenses while you’re studying in Australia, taking care of most prescription medicine costs, and providing ambulance coverage for emergencies.
6 How to get the Australian Student Visa
1. Apply to an Australian university
Now that you have an idea of what you will be needing to get the student visa to study in Australia, the first step will be to apply for a course or program in a Government approved institution. In this case, what you should do is make a list of institutions, research courses, and where there are located.
Once you decide, apply to a few if possible and ensure you get a letter of offer and Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). The COE is no different from a letter of acceptance which is usually given after making deposits
2. Determine the Student type you need
We have already established that there are two major visas available for International students who want to study in Australia, they are, “Student visa (subclass 500) and Training visa (subclass 407). Your program and its duration will determine what you need.
For those from New Zealand, you do not need a student visa to study in Australia, but other domestic fees must be paid.
3. Completing an Australian student visa application online
The form is available online making it easier for you to be able to complete it from anywhere and at any time of the day. Before applying, ensure you have the important documents ready. After, you will proceed by using the following links to apply for Australian student visas:
- Student visa (subclass 500) – Visit the online application page.
- Training visa (subclass 407) – Visit the online application page.
During the registration, you are to provide your letter of offer from the school, Proof of English Proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, Occupational English Test (OET), or any other solid test for English proficiency, evidence of sufficient funds, to mention but a few
4. Pay for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
The OSHC is very important. All international students must make provision for health insurance. Without it, your application won’t be a success.
You can buy the OSHC online from the following health insurer websites:
7 Can I work as an International Student on a study visa in Australia?
Yes, all international students will be able to work in Australia except that they will only be limited to a few hours. During your study terms and semesters, you can work up to 48 hours every two weeks. This helps you concentrate on your studies and also lets you do some paid work to learn and gain experience while you’re in Australia.