1 Program of Study
This fellowship is not intended for students to complete a degree. It is only for research purposes. Areas of research are Health research, Natural sciences and/or engineering, and Social sciences and/or humanities.
The following is the complete list of eligible health professions under which a candidate may apply for the program – Audiologists and Speech-language Pathologists, followed by Chiropodists/Podiatrists, Chiropractors, Dental Hygienists, Dentists/Dental Surgeons, and Registered Dietitians/Nutritionists.
The list continues with Kinesiologists, Medical Laboratory Technologists, Medical Radiation Technologists, Midwifery practitioners, Naturopaths, Occupational Therapists, Optometrists, Pharmacists, Physicians/Surgeons, Physiotherapists, Psychoeducators/Psychotherapists, Psychologists, Recreational Therapists, Registered Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Social Workers, and finally, Veterinarians.
International Students and permanent residents of Canada who receive the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship are required to utilize it at a Canadian institution.
Canadian citizens or permanent residents who obtained their Ph.D. or its equivalent/health professional degree from a foreign university must also hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship University in Canada. Furthermore, permanent residents or citizens of Canada who obtained their qualification from an institution in Canada have the option to choose between a School in Canada or one outside the country
However, Canadian citizens or permanent residents who got their health professional degree, Ph.D., or its equivalent from a Canadian university have the option to choose between a Canadian institution or an institution located outside of Canada to fulfill the purpose for which the fellowship was designed.
3 Target Countries
Eligible students from Canada and countries from all over the world including Non-EU/EEA can apply for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
4 Host Institution
Canada Institution for Foreign Students and Institutions outside the Country/Canadian Universities for Permanent Residents and Citizens.
The following are the recognized host institutions — Canadian and foreign universities, affiliated research hospitals, colleges, and not-for-profit organizations with a solid stance and capacity for research.
5 Scholarship Value
Each successful applicant will get $70,000 per year for 2 years (non-renewable)
6 Application Instruction
To apply for The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program, the following steps are to be followed:
1. First, you will need to look for an institution that could host your fellowship. You can also contact the institution directly to confirm if they will be able to host it. To seek hosting at a foreign institution, Applicants must initiate these connections, often through dedicated program pages on institutions’ websites.
2. Applications will be completed in cooperation with the host institution. You will also be responsible for providing your host institution and referees with the requisite documents needed for the composition of respective letters.
3. During the initial stages of the application process, it is essential for applicants and their host institution to engage in thorough discussions covering the following points:
- The details of the fellowship appointment.
- Any benefits offered specifically to the Banting postdoctoral researcher.
- Financial obligations associated with the appointment, including considerations such as union dues, insurance premiums, and related matters.
- The availability of research and/or other forms of support that can aid the postdoctoral researcher.
- The rights and responsibilities of postdoctoral researchers, ensuring clarity on expectations and obligations.
- Any institution-specific policies that may apply to a Banting postdoctoral researcher, addressing any unique guidelines or regulations.
- Established research-related policies and protocols, such as protocols for conducting research involving the First Nations, Inuit, and Métis Peoples of Canada, as well as the necessary approvals for research involving humans, animals, or biohazards.
The closing date for the Scholarship is on 20 September 2023.
8 Scholarship Link
For more information about the Fellowship, you will need to visit the Official website.